Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -ApexWealth
Robert Brown|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 18:59:19
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Robert Brownagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (694)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Isiah Pacheco injury update: Chiefs RB leaves stadium on crutches after hurting ankle
- Don't listen to Trump's lies. Haitian chef explains country's rich culinary tradition.
- Get $336 Worth of Tarte Makeup for $55 & More Deals on Top-Sellers Like Tarte Shape Tape & Amazonian Clay
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Musk deletes post about Harris and Biden assassination after widespread criticism
- An appeals court won’t revive Brett Favre’s defamation lawsuit against Shannon Sharpe
- Kirk Cousins' record in primetime games: What to know about Falcons QB's win-loss
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Britney Spears Shares Rare Message to Sons Jayden and Sean Federline for Their Birthdays
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- 2024 Emmys: Elizabeth Debicki Details Why She’s “Surprised” by Win for The Crown
- An 8-year-old Ohio girl drove an SUV on a solo Target run
- Oregon tribe sues over federal agency plans to hold an offshore wind energy auction
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- After mass shooting, bill would require Army to use state crisis laws to remove weapons
- Tito Jackson, member of the Jackson 5, has died at 70, his sons say
- Sustainable investing advocate says ‘anti-woke’ backlash in US won’t stop the movement
Recommendation
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
Tell Me Lies’ Grace Van Patten Shares Rare Insight Into Romance With Costar Jackson White
Low Boom, High Pollution? NASA Readies for Supersonic Test Flight
Cardi B Reunites With Offset in Behind-the-Scenes Look at Birth of Baby No. 3
Sam Taylor
Flappy Bird returning in 2025 after decade-long hiatus: 'I'm refreshed, reinvigorated'
Michaela Mabinty DePrince's Mom Elaine DePrince Died 24 Hours After the Ballerina
Travis Kelce's NFL Suite Features Sweet Nod to Taylor Swift